Bloomberg and The Athletic are set to launch a bundled subscription this month. Annual Bloomberg subscribers will receive 6 months free to The Athletic with their subscription.
- The annual Bloomberg subscription is currently discounted from $415 to $290 per year. Monthly Bloomberg subscribers ($34.99 discounted to $1.99 monthly fee) will receive three months free to The Athletic.
- An annual subscription to The Athletic currently costs $59.99 per year which currently has 1 million users.
- Bloomberg first launched a subscription service in 2018.
Bonus add-ons: The Athletic-Bloomberg deal is also piloting a new video product according to Axios. Journalists from The Athletic will feature on QuickTake, Bloomberg’s digital news network, to report on the technology of sports, business, and culture.
The Athletic is looking to quickly grow its user base. It partnered with T-Mobile last month to offer a free, year-long subscription to the digital sports news publisher
- This is not the first time Bloomberg has bundled subscriptions having partnered with The Information back in February. The Information is an ad-free site with content behind a subscription paywall.
- More and more publishers are turning to subscription models such as the South China Morning Post. It is the latest large scale publisher to move from an advertising model to subscriptions.
The roll-up: If the subscription trend continues to grow, we may see more publishers begin to team up to create bundled subscription packages.